What’s in your basket? Here is mine.
Firstly I found a basket that fits on my lap and was the right depth to hold the latest project. I then covered that with my favourite fabric.
Then there are a number of essential tools any sewing basket should have (according to me, yours will probably be different)
- A pin cushion – one of my pet hates is when people put their sewing needle on the table, I have to refrain from shouting ‘USE THE PIN CUSHION’.
There are a number of good reasons to use them.
- You always know where your needle is. and not sticking in the cat, dog or husband
- easy access – when you have a lot of materials in you basket they are easier to find
- pins can be accessed easier
- Embroidery scissors – Chose a pair that you like and are comfortable to use, which have a nice point. I have lots of different types, titanium, stork, soft grip.
- Tape measure
- Seam ripper/unpicker – the amount of times I have had to undo some sewing, this is useful to have to hand.
- Needles and pins – have a variety of types and eye sizes. There is nothing worse than sitting down for a sewing session and then having to go and find another needle to fit the thread.
- Threads – I always have black, white and cream in my basket, as most sewing can be done with these colours.
Making a matching set of pin cushion, scissor case, and needle case could be you first project.
Happy sewing 🙂